Belfast Botanic Gardens and Palm House
First established in 1828, the Belfast Botanical Gardens have been enjoyed as a public park for the people of Belfast since 1895. There is an extensive rose garden and long herbaceous borders and tree enthusiasts can find the rare oaks planted in the 1880s, including hornbeam oak leaves. Located near Queens University in Belfast, the Belfast Botanic Gardens are an important part of Belfast's Victorian heritage and a meeting place for residents, students and tourists.
Designed by Charles Lanyon, the Palm House is one of the earliest examples of a curvilinear cast iron glasshouse. Its construction was initiated by the Belfast Botanical Garden and Horticultural Society in the 1830s. The two wings were completed in 1840, and was built by Richard Turner of Dublin, who later built the Great Palm House at Kew Gardens.
Over the years, the Palm House has acquired a reputation for good plant collections. Throughout the year all displays of color and scent using plants as geranium, fuchsia, begonia and displays are built. The construction of the Palm House was started in 1839, and the Tropical Ravine, or Fernery, completed in 1889, is a good example of Victorian horticulture. Plants grow in a sunken valley overlooked by a balcony. The kitchen wing and dome area contain a number of temperate and tropical plants, with special emphasis on species of economic value.
Family Days Out At The Botanic Gardens Belfast
In addition to the Palm House and Tropical Ravine, there is a children's playground, beautiful walks around the grounds and a bowling green. Botanic Gardens is often used for events, such as Garden Gourmet, as well as band recitals, concerts and opera performances.