Belfast Zoo is one of the leading visitor attractions in Northern Ireland, with more than 304,000 visitors a year. It is well worth taking some to plan your visit to Belfast Zoo prior to your arriving there. There are various different walks laid out through the Zoo highlighting different animals, such as the Monkey Walk, the Elephant and Giraffe Walk and the Hill Walk. The Lake Walk will enable families with younger kids to see the farm animals and also visit the play park.
Popular attractions at Belfast Zoo include the Asian elephants, giraffes, sea lions, penguins, ring-tailed lemurs, apes, monkeys, Malayan tapirs, Giant anteater, Malayan sun bears, Visayan warty pigs, Barbary lions and Sumatran tigers. The Rainforest exhibit creates an authentic immersive environment that combines tropical plants with unusual animals such as Jasmine, the Linne's two toes Sloth and Rodrigues fruit bats.
Other onsite facilities include the Ark Cafe, snack bar, 'Zoovenir Shop', children's playground and designated picnic areas. The zoo also runs a regular programme and special events through the year.
Belfast Zoo Opening Hours
- Summer (April 1 to September 30)
- 10am to 7pm. Last admission is 5pm. Animal houses close at 6pm. The Ark Café and confectionery kiosk all close at 5.30pm.
- The Zoovenir Shop closes at 6pm on weekdays and 7pm on weekends.
- Winter (October 1 to March 31)
- 10am to 4pm. Last admission is 2.30pm. Animal houses close at 3.30pm. The Zoovenir Shop closes at 4pm and the Ark Café closes at 3.30pm.